Drop-off -17:30 (Approximately)
LUNCH is included at a famous Turkish restaurant.
Antalya is a city on the Mediterranean coast of southwestern Turkey, and the capital city of Antalya Province. Situated on coastal cliffs, Antalya is surrounded by mountains. Development and investment began in the 1970s, have transformed the city into an international resort.
• Departure from hotel
• Old City ( Kaleiçi ) Marina, Clock Tower,
• Hadrian’s Gate, Broken Minaret,
• Hıdırlık Tower
• Düden II Waterfall
• Archaeological Museum
• Shopping break
• Transfer to the hotel.
09:30 Pick up
17:30 Drop off
The tour starts with a visit to the Old-town located near the marina. Originally surrounded by a wall and two gates this town traces back to the Roman era. Today only a part of the wall and one gate survives, which is still the grandest way to enter the area. Visit the narrow winding streets and wooden mansions to get a feel of the quaint town. Surrounded by cafes, bars and shops this area is perfect to wind down for the day.
The Hadrian’s Gate (or Hadrianus Gate or The Three Gates (meaning “Üçkapılar” in Turkish)) is a triumphal arch which was built in the name of the Roman emperor Hadrian, who visited Antalya in 130 A.D. It has three arched gates. Formerly the city walls enclosed the outside of the gate and it was not used for many years. This may be the reason why it has not been harmed, and it was only revealed when the walls collapsed. It is considered as Pamphylia’s most beautiful Gate. The upper part has three apertures in the shape of a cupola, and except for the pillars is built entirely of white marble. The ornamentation is very striking. The original Gate was two storeys but little is known of the top storey.
Antalya’s broken wonder is the Broken Minaret (Kesik Minare) of the Korkut Mosque (Korkut Camii), which itself was built originally as a Roman temple in the 2nd century AD, and thus did not have a minaret at all. A Byzantine church in honor of the Virgin Mary was built on the temple site in the 600s, but badly damaged during the Arab invasions of the 700s. It was repaired and expanded in the 900s. When the Seljuk Turkish Empire of Rum took Antalya from the Byzantines i, the church was converted to a mosque and the minaret added, but in 1361 when Peter I, crusader king of Cyprus, took Antalya from the Seljuks it became a church again. It became a mosque yet again during the rule of Sehzade Korkut (1470-1509), son of the Ottoman sultan Beyazit II, and continued as a place of worship until 1846, when it was dstroyed by a great fire. The temple-church-mosque now lies in ruins, but the minaret survives. So it now stands in the midst of a street in Kaleiçi (Old Antalya), periodically repaired—but not restored—as a local curiosity and a convenient landmark.
Hıdırlık Tower (Turkish: Hıdırlık Kulesi) is a landmark tower of tawny stone in Antalya, Turkey, where Kaleiçi meets Karaalioglu Park. It is believed to be built in Hellenistic era on a square plan and later turned into circular tower in 2nd century AD and was either used as a fortification or a lighthouse in the past. The tower is situated at the southern side of the place, where the land walls of the city join the sea walls. The 14m high structure consists a circular tower rising on a quadratic pedestal. The tower’s gate at the eastern side leads to a small room, from where a narrow staircase goes up. There are signs of restoration work on the upper part done in the Seljuk and Ottoman eras. Hırılık Tower is surrounded today with many cafés and restaurants having panoramic view of the Gulf of Antalya.
Düden Waterfalls are a group of waterfalls in the province of Antalya, Turkey. The waterfall, formed by the Düden River (one of the major rivers in southern Anatolia), is located 12 km north-east of Antalya; which ends, where the limpid waters of the Lower Düden Falls drop off a rocky cliff directly into the Mediterranean Sea in a dazzling show. At the 28th and 30th km of the old route from Antalya-Burdur (which goes through Dösemealti town) there appear two big Karstic sources. These sources, Kirkgözler and Pinarbasi which are very rich waterwise, coincide after a very short flow and they disappear finally in Biyikli Sinkhole. Some of the sinkholes are so big that they can swallow a huge river or a big lake. In this region there is the Sugla (Konya) big sinkhole the Biyikli sinkhole with its output of 30 m³/s. This quantity is the output of Kirkgöz and Pinarbasi springs at inundation. The water which disappears at Biyikli Sinkhole goes14 km underground and comes out again at Varsak pit; after a very short fall it disappears again from the other end. To understand the mechanism correctly you must follow the map and schema. The water which disappears at Varsak goes underground for 2 km and comes out again at Düdenbasi by pressure made by a syphon. The water which falls from Düdenbasi is the water coming from Kepez Hydroelectrically Complex. By all these actions (water coming in and out) Kepez Hydroelectrical Complex has been built. By means of regulator built in front of the Biyikli Sinkhole, the waters of Kirkgözler and Pinarbasi are directed into a canal and then by a long canal to the Kepez Hydroelectric Plant to the collector from where by a pressure pipe it is carried to the balancing funnel and then dropped over the plant’s turbines. The water from the plant’s discharge unit is brought to Düdenbasi again by a long canal where it forms artificial cascades. From there the amount of water is that of a large river and this water by means of seven irrigation trenches is used to irrigate the land north-east of the city of Antalya. After Düdenbasi the waters of Düdençay separate into a number of streams and finally east of Antalya at a height of 40 m plunge from a platform into the Mediterranean in the form of cascades. At the spot where the cascades fall into the Mediterranean is an attractive park. In spring when water is plentiful this is a sight not to be missed. They can be seen from the sea by talking a boat trip from Antalya yacht harbor, which is a very pleasant trip.
At the end of the First World War, during the time when Antalya was under the Italian military occupation, Italian archeologists started to remove the archeological treasures that had been found in the center or the surroundings to the Italian Embassy, which they claimed to do in the name of civilization. To prevent these initiatives, Süleyman Fikri Bey, the Sultan’s teacher, applied to the Antalya post and jurisdiction of the provincial Governor in 1919 and had himself appointed as voluntary officer of antiquities and first tried to establish the Antalya Museum by collecting what remained in the center. The museum at first operated in the Alâeddin Mosque in 1922, then inYivli Minare Mosque beginning from 1937, and then moved to its present building in 1972. It was closed to visitors for a wide range of modifications and restorations in 1982. It was reorganized according to a modern approach for a museum and opened to the public in April 1985, after the restorations and display arrangements made by the General Directorate of Ancient Objects and Museums.